Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Friday 17 May 2013
Name: Graffiti Moon
Author: Cath Crowley
Date Published: August 1, 2013
Grade: Solid A

Goodreads Summary: "Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about. His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls. But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.

Review: I MUST MAKE AN APOLOGETIC STATEMENT RIGHT NOW. I AM SORRY CATH CROWLEY, I AM SORRY SARINA, I AM SORRY MY GOODREADS FRIENDS WHO TOLD ME TO READ THIS BOOK A LONG TIME AGO BUT OBVIOUSLY MY STUBBORN, STUPID SELF DIDN'T LISTEN. Let me explain. Alright, so a year and a half ago, Sarina came up to me, excited, telling me about this super great book that I had to read because it was "asdfghjkl-good". I had a couple books on my plate already so I sort of glanced at the back summary and read the first couple pages and thought "meh", and decided that it didn't seem so great. So I gave it back to her saying I didn't want to read it. Then, a couple weeks ago, I was in need of a good YA book to read and I remembered the raving reviews about this one, so I re-borrowed it from Sarina to give it another try- and I read it almost all in one sitting and now here I am, about to tell you the amazing adventure I had with the most lovable, funny characters, Lucy, Ed, Jazz, Leo, Daisy, and Dylan. I miss them already (I am going through serious post-book-achy-sulky-feeling).

The thing about Graffiti Moon is that it only happens in one night. And that's actually one of the things that turned me away from the book initially- I thought the characters wouldn't be complex or the story would become slow or something dumb like that... But no! It was quite the opposite actually. Even though I only got to spend a mere ten hours with the characters, I completely fell in love with them. Especially Ed and Lucy. They're romance/tension-between-them-that-was-obviously-flirty-tension was so, so much fun to read. They were hilarious together. They just seemed to get each other. They could talk about anything with each other, from the deepest things to the most ridiculously funny things. During the entire book, all I could thing was "KISS ALREADY DAMMIT KISS. OH MY GOD JUST KISS PLEASE KISS OKAY". Jazz and Leo were also such great characters. Leo's poems and Jazz's psychic abilities made the book that much more interesting to read. And Dylan and Daisy were just straight-up funny. All the main characters in the book were so well developed and each had so many layers, they all had their own dreams and goals and problems and wishes. This might be my favorite overall cast of characters ever, especially considering I LOVED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM (which is extremely rare).



The story itself was really interesting to read, told in alternating points of views by Lucy, Ed, and some of Leo's poems. It was funny seeing some of the story overlap and intertwine, because that way you got to see what both Lucy and Ed was thinking during the same scenes. It was pretty special to see Ed and Lucy fall for each other as each hour passed by and they had more and more discussions about life and art and love. The writing was so vivid and brilliantly written, Crowley described all the artwork so well. It was beautiful. As I was reading this book, I kept imaging two teens running through a city at night in hopes of finding an adventure together, with the lights of the city surrounding them, as if they were stars, guiding the way. Beautiful.

When I finished the book, I had this kind of achy, sad/beautiful, *deep-breaths* feeling in me. I wanted morrrreeee. Overall, this book was such a great read and I am so glad that I finally read it! Engaging, hilarious, beautiful, this book has it all. A must read for lovers of YA novels. I hope you fall in love with Graffiti Moon as much as I have!

PAULA :)


0 comments: