Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Thursday 2 May 2013
Title: Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Grade: A

Goodreads Summary: From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak. Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.


Review: I honestly don't know where to begin this review. This book has been sitting on my nightstand for countless days, and I am very ashamed that it took me this long to finish it. I knew that Morgan Matson was a phenomenal writer the second that I finished Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. That book is one of my all time favourite stories, and I was afraid that this one wouldn't live up to Amy standards. Though I can't say that I liked this one better than Matson's debut, Second Chance Summer is definitely a book that you do not want to miss out on.

After finding out that her father has stage IV pancreatic cancer, Taylor Edwards and her family decide to visit a summer lakehouse that they have not visited in 5 years. This turns out to be Taylor's least favourite idea when she realizes that her former friend and boyfriend are still living in town. When I first started this novel, it seemed really slow. I couldn't really get into the rhythm of the writing, and everything seemed to drag on a bit too long. However, once I got past the first 50 pages, things started to become more interesting.

At the first glance, this book looks big boned. And it is. But knowing that this book revolves around cancer worried me because I felt that it would be too heartbreaking, too painful, too sad. It was much to my surprise though that Matson does a wonderful job of incorporating not only the family relationship of Taylor's story, but her other relationships too. Reading about Taylor's friend and boy issues really helped lighten this novel and make it a lot easier to read.

Like I said before, I initially thought that this book mainly revolves around cancer. But it's way more than just that. It's about second chances. With friends, with love, and with family. It was hard to read about Taylor finally strengthening her relationship with her father just as it was going to be broken forever. I cried for the last 50 pages of the novel, and when I finished the book, the first thing I did was go tell my dad that I loved him.

If you're considering reading this book, don't make the mistake I did and wait any longer. Morgan Matson's incredible ability to create a cast of unforgettable characters and beautiful descriptions of scenery make this a must read. Pick this one up as soon as you can!

Happy reading!

~SARINA


0 comments: